Software Engineer – Tooling
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a growing, innovative, employee-centred business in the space industry. We are looking for an experienced and motivated Software Engineer to join our team developing the next generation of spacecraft flight software and software tools.
As a key member of our R&D team you will take responsibility for the software tooling which lies at the heart of our model-based approach to space software engineering. You will guide the evolution of our core space system meta-model and ensure that we and our customers have the tooling we need to work with this model across the full software life-cycle. You will also contribute to space agency funded R&D projects to advance the state of the art in spacecraft software engineering.
Essential technical skills
We see the following as essential to the job:
- Strong Java & Python skills, ideally demonstrated in a commercial environment
- Strong analytical skills, comfortable with abstraction and generalisation
- Development and debugging of quality code and adherence to best coding practices
- Experience in planning and executing all stages of software engineering, from design to documentation according to a specified development process
- Experience in performing requirements analysis and elicitation based on formal and informal inputs
We’re looking for a dynamic and motivated engineer to join our team. We’re especially looking for someone who:
- Enjoys problems solving and balancing the pragmatic and practical with the abstract and elegant
- Works well both independently and in a team as part of a fast-paced technical environment
- Requires little supervision
- Possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills, both for internal and external, customer facing, interactions
- Interested in learning new skills and is open to new ideas and ways of working
Desirable technical skills
The following skills would definitely be a bonus:
- Model-based and/or component-based software engineering
- Knowledge of, or exposure to, space systems in either a commercial or academic context
- XML schema development
- Eclipse plugin development
- Embedded/real time software development
- Agile software development
- Software product/quality assurance, especially ECSS-E-ST-40C, DO-178B/C
- Software development and test automation, including continuous integration
- C programming
About the job
We’re ideally looking to employ someone full time, although this is negotiable. Salary will be in the range of £30k-£40k+, depending on experience, with 36 days of holiday per annum and a 6% employer’s pension contribution. We have offices in Edinburgh and Dundee and this role could be filled in either location, although a certain amount of inter-site travel may be required. All applicants should have the right to work in the UK.
As a member of the Bright Ascension team you would have a stake in the business through our Employee Benefit Trust which owns 20% of our business.
We are a young, innovative company changing the way that software is developed in the space industry. With customers across the world, ranging from universities and space agencies, to commercial organisations and start-ups, our core technologies enable our customers to develop and operate space-based systems and services faster, cheaper and more reliably. Innovation is at the heart of what we do and it is our team which drives that innovation; this is reflected in our commitment to employee ownership, which gives all of us a voice, and a stake, in our current and future success.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE