Flight Software Engineer
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a rapidly growing, innovative, employee-centred business in the space industry. We are looking for an experienced and motivated Spacecraft Software Engineer to join our team developing spacecraft flight software to support a wide range of customer missions as well as assisting in the development of our world-leading flight software products.
As a member of our mission software team you would be responsible for contributing to spacecraft flight software development projects, both for cutting-edge research projects and flight missions. The primary implementation language is C, although a working knowledge of Python and/or Java would be useful as these languages are also used in our tooling.
Whilst not essential, space systems knowledge and/or experience in the space industry would be useful.
Essential technical skills
We see the following as essential to the job:
- Strong C skills, ideally demonstrated in a commercial environment
- Development and debugging of quality code and adherence to best coding practices
- Ability to work from a wide range of input documents and definitions of varying levels of formality such as hardware datasheets, interface control documents, protocol definitions, design specifications etc.
- Experience in planning and executing all stages of software engineering, from design to documentation according to a specified development process
- Strong understanding of concurrent programming constructs
- Ability to work in a Linux environment using a range of standard development tools
We’re looking for a dynamic and motivated engineer to join our team. We’re especially looking for someone who:
- Enjoys problems solving and balancing the pragmatic and practical with the abstract and elegant
- Works well both independently and in a team as part of a fast-paced technical environment
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills, both for internal and external, customer facing, interactions
- Is interested in learning new skills and is open to new ideas and ways of working
Desirable technical skills
The following skills would definitely be a bonus:
- Knowledge of, or exposure to, space systems in either a commercial or academic context
- Experience in performing requirements analysis and elicitation based on formal and informal inputs
- Experience of model-based and/or component-based software engineering
- Experience with a range of development environments, frameworks or libraries
- Use of version control systems such as mercurial, git and SVN
- Experience developing embedded/real time software
- Agile software development
- Software product/quality assurance, especially ECSS-E-ST-40C, DO-178B/C
- Software development and test automation, including continuous integration
About the job
We’re ideally looking to employ someone full time, although this is negotiable. Salary will be in the range of £30k-£45k+, depending on experience, with 36 days of holiday per annum and a 6% employer’s pension contribution. We have offices in Edinburgh, Dundee and Bristol, and this role could be filled in any of our locations, although a certain amount of inter-site travel may be required. All applicants should have the right to work in the UK.
As a member of the Bright Ascension team you would have a stake in the business through our Employee Benefit Trust which owns 16% of our business.
We are a small, innovative company changing the way that software is developed in the space industry. With customers across the world, ranging from universities and space agencies, to commercial organisations and start-ups, our core technologies enable our customers to develop and operate space-based systems and services faster, cheaper and more reliably. Innovation is at the heart of what we do and it is our team which drives that innovation; this is reflected in our commitment to employee ownership, which gives all of us a voice, and a stake, in our current and future success.
Applying for this job
If you think you would be a good fit for this role, and would like us to consider you for the opportunity, please get in touch by sending us a CV and covering letter to email@example.com
Closing Date: 30th October 2020
NO AGENCIES PLEASE