Customer Applications Engineer
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a growing, innovative, employee-centred business in the space industry. We are looking for a software engineer with excellent people skills to focus on ensuring that our customers get the most from our products. You will act as a trusted advisor to our customers and as a customer advocate within the company. This is a new position, so there is real scope for the right candidate to define and grow this role. We expect you will take on a broad range of responsibilities such as:
- gaining and maintaining expert-level knowledge of our products;
- handling technical support requests and managing our help desk system and forums;
- shaping the delivery of user documentation, tutorials, training material and our customer portal;
- contributing to pre-sales material such as blog posts, white papers and FAQs;
- representing the company at trade shows and conferences;
- acting as a ‘customer voice’ or advocate within the activities of the company; and
- taking responsibility for the overall ‘customer journey’.
There is a lot of flexibility in this role, with the potential for it to suit anyone from an experienced engineer to a recent graduate.
Essential technical skills
We see the following as essential to the job:
- software development skills using the C language;
- the ability to communicate technical concepts including in technical writing;
- a strong appreciation for good software engineering practices; and
- experience in technical support and training.
We would like to see these skills demonstrated either through previous relevant employment or equivalent activities within an academic setting.
We’re looking for a dynamic and motivated engineer to join our team. We’re especially looking for someone who:
- can quickly gain the trust and confidence of others;
- will show dedication to customer service;
- possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills, both for internal and external, customer facing, interactions;
- is diligent and attentive to details;
- works well both independently and in a team as part of a fast-paced technical environment;
- actively looks for ways to add value to the company and develop their role; and
- is consistently curious, is interested in learning new skills and is open to new ideas and ways of working.
Desirable technical skills
Given the potential breadth of this role, there are many additional skills which could be a bonus. As a starting point, we think that the following skills would definitely be valuable:
- an interest in the space industry, especially in the rapidly-moving “New Space” sector;
- knowledge of, or exposure to, space systems in either a commercial or academic context;
- exposure to and experience with Java and/or Python programming;
- exposure to and experience with real-time embedded systems;
- knowledge of UML and/or other modelling languages; and
- experience with model-based engineering and model-based tools.
About the job
We’re ideally looking to employ someone full time, although this is negotiable. Salary will be in the range of £25k-£40k+, depending on experience, with 36 days of holiday per annum and a 6% employer’s pension contribution. We have offices in Edinburgh, Dundee and Bristol although to permit regular interaction with the teams responsible for product management, business development, sales and marketing, this role would be best suited to being based in either Edinburgh or Dundee. As exhibitions and trade shows are normally an important way for us to meet customers (and are likely to continue to be, post-COVID), some global travel should be anticipated. All applicants should have the right to work in the UK.
As a member of the Bright Ascension team you would have a stake in the business through our Employee Benefit Trust which owns 16% of our business.
About Bright Ascension
We are a young, innovative company changing the way that software is developed in the space industry. With customers across the world, ranging from universities and space agencies, to commercial organisations and start-ups, our core technologies enable our customers to develop and operate space-based systems and services faster, cheaper and more reliably. Innovation is at the heart of what we do and it is our team which drives that innovation; this is reflected in our commitment to employee ownership, which gives all of us a voice, and a stake, in our current and future success.
Applying for this job
If you think you would be a good fit for this role, and would like us to consider you for the opportunity, please get in touch by sending us a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 13th August 2021
Job specification: Customer Applications Engineer
NO AGENCIES PLEASE